Sunday 22 November 2015

Review: The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith.



Hardcover: 455 pages
Published:  June 19 2014 by Mulholland Books,
Genre: Mystery.

Private investigator Cormoran Strike returns in a new mystery from Robert Galbraith, author of the #1 international bestseller The Cuckoo's Calling.

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, Mrs. Quine just thinks her husband has gone off by himself for a few days—as he has done before—and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realizes. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were to be published, it would ruin lives—meaning that there are a lot of people who might want him silenced.

When Quine is found brutally murdered under bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before...

  



*CLAPPING* This was the book to get me back into the reading world. Not only was the mystery enticing but I got the privilege to revisit the lives of Strike and Robin. Oh how much I love this series *swoon*.

The last book focused on  a suicide case of a model , and this time it was a case dealing with the world of writers and publications. A frail lady in need to find her husband arrives at strikes office.What began a simply case of a man who ran away, became a large mess of words and deep secrets.
Now the plot is deep and detailed.VERY DETAILED, I mean this book was gory to say the least . I applaud the author for truly showing the world of this author, but wow I wasn't expecting such horror. Let's say if you are weak for gross murders and such , this may be hard to read. But other than that the plot was slow pace but has a climatic end.The pace allowed readers to truly understand each individual involved with the case , which is important in a mystery novel.
The feeling of being in England is there , the description of the setting is done very well.Even the way the characters speak by using word choice to portray their accents is done beautiful. I felt being in the atmosphere of england and that added a lot to the story and something I enjoy about from this series.

Strike and Robin are a power duo I adore . I must admit they remind me a bit of Sherlock and Joan Watson's relationship from Elementary( which if you also love mysteries this show is a masterpiece). I love how the relationship is trying to evolve as robin wants more from her secretary job.Even the ongoing subplot of her fiance , Matthew who I find to be annoying to say the least.Robin is a smart woman and I love that she is trying pursue a life she wants for herself despite some setbacks.I enjoy Strike and Robins relationship and interactions, through the case.       
Now I know people are shipping them , but I feel like the relationship adds more depth by being platonic.I have mixed feelings on it , if done right I totally for it but also can see it go really bad. For me ,the relationship right now is amazing on its own and doesn't need romance to make it better , and Elementary, a show with a platonic relationship shows that wonderfully.

                     The whole world is writing novels, but no one is reading them.

 I rate this book a 4.5/5 adorable kittens , as it is a great mystery novel with detailed and complex characters to match the case.I took .5 off because like I mentioned the unexpected goriness in the book was  a bit much.Other than that it was a phenomenal book and truly recommend to any mystery novel fanatics. 

This books is another compelling novel in the Cormoran Strike series , and I am planning to get the third book out right now, Career of Evil.

PS. I know I mention elementary many times throughout this review and all I can say is that this book reminds me of it sorry, but really you guys should check it out.

If you would like to join the discussion or input some things you thought of the book please do comment down below.



No comments:

Post a Comment